Tuesday, May 26, 2009

When it rains, it POURS!!!

Well this has not been the best weekend for us! And not a lot of it had to do with Memorial day. I should have known with the way we started it out!

Friday evening I needed to get some work done, just ordering dance pictures for the school I photographed last week. I wasn't motivated staying at home so I decided to pack up my stuff and the kids and go to Marie's house to hang out. This way I could have someone to motivate me when I lost the motivation and kids to entertain my kids so they would stay out of my hair.

I was doing well and the kids were having a ball playing outside, riding bikes and playing in the sandbox. We didn't really have any bickering with the kids either (it usually happens at least a couple of times.) All of a sudden Dustin comes in the house carrying a rather calm Donovan who's foot was bleeding (he usually freaks out at the sight of his own blood). He set him in the shower, it was bleeding pretty good, and Marie and I investigated the source of the bleeding. All Donovan told us was that he stepped on a toy in the sandbox. My kids are like me, we hate shoes, they are just a necessary evil most of the time.

After cleaning his foot as best we could we noticed a little puncture wound on his heel. I carried him to the dining room where I was working and looked at it a little closer in better lighting. A few minutes later one of the kids, I don't remember which, came in the house carrying an old board with a nail sticking out of it. Donovan told us that it was what he stepped on. So I called the doctor, she said he should be fine until I reminded her that he isn't immunized.

Let me pause for a moment and tell you not to lecture me about immunizing my children, I have heard it all before. Our decision not to immunize them was a choice Brian and I made after a lot of studying, research and prayer before Savannah was born.

I called Brian on my way to the emergency room and I was glad I did. I had not been to the emergency room since before Savannah died and they chose to put us in the room that they frequently put Savannah in. The PA looked at his foot and was about to send us on our way when I asked him if Donovan needed a tetanus shot. I really wish that they would look at the chart before the come in to see the patients.

The nurse came in with an assistant and 2 shots because he hadn't had any before. The assistant went to hold Donovan down and I told her to get her hands off of him, she was scaring him. I proceeded to tell her that I had done this for the past 3 years and I knew what my child needed and he did not need her to hold him down. Now I understand that some kids need that but I wasn't about to let them scare him when he didn't even know what was going on. I calmly explained to Donovan what they were going to do and then told him how Sissy would sit in my lap and squeeze my hands if it hurt. He climbed into my lap and let the nurse give him the shots, both of them. He didn't not start crying until after she left the room. We told him how proud we were of him for being such a big boy and that it was ok to cry if it hurt.

Because I didn't get my work done Friday night I had to do it Saturday, again no motivation. I started out having a hard day, I think it was combination of being in the emergency room and it being Memorial Day weekend. Marie came to my house with her kids, her son mowed my lawn, it needed it! And she visited with me while I tried to get some work done. She needed to leave at 2:00 for an appointment, I still was not doing well. I wanted to go, but knew I needed to get my work done. She quite literally twisted my arm and told me I needed to go. She was very kind to me and gave up her appointment to get her legs waxed so I could get mine done. I needed a little pampering! Thanks Marie! (By the way, I did finish my work Saturday evening!)

On Sunday we were informed by our landlady that she has sold our house and we have 6 weeks to buy a house (we've been casually looking) or find a new rent. We have been looking at buying a house but we did not want to make a quick decision.

Monday we went to the parade and then to the cemetery. We cleaned up Savannah's site a little and bought her a beautiful pink hanging plant. Kiara and Donovan frequently play on the little wooden bridge that crosses a tiny stream in the cemetery. They like to slide down the railings, well Donovan got a splinter. I completely forgot about it until this morning when he showed me that it was turning a little red. I got out the tweezers but I couldn't get it out, so I had to get a needle. Again, he was a very brave boy, he did fuss and cry while I was trying to get it out but he didn't try to pull his hand away. We put some medicine and a bandaid on it (bandaids cure everything).

I need a calm week, PLEASE!!!


Megan and Sean said...

Poor Donovan! Here's to having a calmer (that's not a word, but anyway) week!

Marie said...

I'm SO SORRY!! Poor little guy, and had we only known things would get worse from there! Anyhow, dance schools almost dealt with, baseball soon over, things are bound to look up! I predict the Lord will get you in the right house at the right moment, by strange and unusual means (those are his best!)!!